Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spots all over!

So backtracking a couple of days here and wanting to tell you about a serious condition that I hadthis week that put me in the emergency room for 5 hours. I had hives over 90% of my body. And I really have no idea why I had them. Now my husband and I think that I am allergic to the new protein shake that I purchased from my dietitian. So I am not drinking that anymore. But what happened was on Thursday the 26th I had some itchy spots in the morning and they seemed to grow. I got scared and had my doctor paged around 10pm and asked him. Now, my doctor is a very good doctor but he has no personality whatsoever. He must have missed that class in med school. Didn't get much out of him so my husband and I went to Walgreen's to pick up some Benadryl and some cortozone cream. When we got home I took a cold shower and took the Benadryl and my husband gave me some pain medication and slathered my body with the whole tube of cortozone cream. I went into la la land and fell asleep. So Friday morning came and I felt like I drank a 12 pack and tried to sleep it off. I had a cotton filled head and a sand paper tounge. My husband called me and asked me how I looked. I stood up and looked in the mirror and noticed I still had some on my back and tummy. After I got off the phone with him, I put some clothes on and went down stairs. I called my nurse and asked her what I should do. She told me that I was doing the right thing by taking the Benadryl and Cortozone cream. So I got off the phone with her and went to the kitchen to fix my breakfast and I just could not stop scratching. I ran into the dining room which has mirror doors into the office and I stripped and I could have just cried. I was covered. My neck, legs, belly, butt, arms, pitties, scalp, and ears! I then proceeded to take pictures and sent them to my mom and husband. I called my nurse back and told her (this all happened within 10 minutes) and she said that the doctor could not see me today, but if they got worse to go to the ER. So I waited for my husband to come home so I could show him. I could not believe it. THEY GOT WORSE...MUCH MUCH WORSE. They got bumpy and started growing into one another so I drank some more Benadryl and slathered on some more cortozone cream and fell asleep on the couch. My husband came home and apparently didn't think to wake me to check to see if I was alive and went upstairs to bed. So I woke up around 7:30 pm and went upstairs to see him and show him and...THEY WERE WORSE. So I made my husband take some pictures and off we went to the ER. I had my husband take me to St. John Westshore Hospital ER (which is about 20 minutes from our house) because I didn't want to spend all night at Elyria Memorial Hospital (which is like right down the road from our house). We got to the hospital at 9 pm and I was not in good condition. I was shaking, cold, and my skin was on fire. I was out of it. I could hardly stand and when we walked into the ER I almost passed out at the desk and good thing that fast thinking nurse had the insight to put a wheelchair under my butt when she did because down I went. So we sat there for a while and I held my little white puke bucket because I was feeling a little pukey. When a doctor was finally able to see me, they all about shit. They said that this was the worst they have ever seen. They immediately started an IV (took them 3 tries) and gave me some steroids and some big time Benadryl and some liquids cause I was having a hard time drinking. I feel asleep and woke up about 1:45 am and they checked on me and they were pretty much gone. They gave me some prescriptions for Steroids and sent me on my merry way. As of today they are pretty much gone with the exceptions of a spot here and there but mostly gone. I am totally not convinced that it was the protein shake but I am not drinking that anymore. Hopefully it doesn't happen ever again. Here are some pictures of my spots.




2 comments:

Just Jules said...

Oh girl, that looks painful. Go find your closest health food store, or natural vitamin place and have them help you with some creams....

Adan said...

holy shit!